Woah. What day is it, y’all?!
The last thing I remember is downloading Justin Bieber’s new album and pressing play.
And then all of the sudden it’s a week later. JB Time Warp for real, you guys…
Anyway, in that span, I ended one internship, started a new one, and baked cupcakes to deal with the change. Are you even a little bit surprised?!
Here’s something I’ve been pondering ever since I made these cupcakes: Muffins v. Cupcakes. I mean, it’s a really thin line between the two sometimes. Peach muffins are a thing. Peach muffins for breakfast maybe make more sense than peach cupcakes for dessert. So where is the line exactly?
Here’s the thing: I know it has to do with ratios and gluten proteins and probably baking times and temperatures. And also the general lack of frosting on muffins (one of life’s great tragedies). But I guess I’m talking conceptually. Or something.
I don’t know. Think about it. If there were no frosting on a cupcake, would you be able to tell it apart from a muffin? By sight? By smell? By taste? I’m sure the texture would be different. But some of my favorite muffins have a crumb very similar to a cupcake. So then… what makes it a muffin instead of a cupcake?
Are they actually that different? Or is it just that we see it as generally acceptable to eat muffins for breakfast so we call breakfast cupcakes “muffins”? My vote is yes to the latter.
So here’s what I propose: Let’s make breakfast cupcakes a thing. Call a spade a spade or whatever. I think we should start a movement to make cupcakes for breakfast socially acceptable. And maybe even celebrated (but nothing huge, you know. Don’t want to go too wild here). Think of how much happier everyone in the world would be if they felt comfortable eating cupcakes for breakfast.
I do it all the time. And, man, I love my life on those days.
Peach Cupcakes with Sour/Whipped Cream Topping
Makes 24 cupcakes
For the cakes
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup whole milk
12 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
1 1/2 cups sugar
2ish cups peaches, peeled and finely chopped (about 3 medium peaches for me)
For the topping
1 cup cold heavy cream
1/2 cup sour cream
3 tbsp sugar
- For the cakes– Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake tin with liners.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Stir together milk and vanilla. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, allowing each to incorporate before adding the next.
- Alternate adding dry and wet ingredients. You want three additions of the dry; two of the wet. Start and end with dry.
- Fold in peaches. Try not to mix too much here.
- Divide batter evenly among liners. Bake until edges start to brown, 20-25 minutes. Let cupcakes cool in tin.
- For the topping– Beat together cream, sour cream, and sugar until medium peaks begin to form. Use to top cupcakes.
Give the gift of breakfast cupcakes! Bake with love!