It’s that time again in Michigan. That time, about mid-way through the summer, when it becomes glaringly apparent why I moved here (besides that thing about residency). You can pick ALL the things yourself.
I made you some lime bars to get ready for spring!
I say this stuff about “spring” as I look out of my window at…snow. On April 3rd. It’s not even April 1st, so you know it’s not an April Fools (Fool’s? Fools’? Do the jokes belong to the fools?) joke.
Well. Here we are. A month into 2016 and here’s what I have to show for it:
- I learned that you can remove gel nail polish at home on your own. You don’t HAVE to fall into the trap of “oh I need to go into get this polish removed…so while I’m there I should probs just get them re-done”…but that will probably still happen.
- We have a surplus of dips at our apartment because Super Bowl. Want to come eat chips and dip with us?
- I bought a new planner, and to make myself feel more accomplished I write down things I can easily check off. Not quite to the point of “brush teeth” as a check box, but we’re getting there.
- We’re adjusting to grocery shopping for both of us slowly but surely. It is shocking the amount of broccoli and brussel sprouts we eat, mostly because we eat roasted vegetables all the time all the time for every meal.
- ( ^ that’s to balance out the excess chips and dip)
Here in Michigan we’re experiencing a heat wave. It was 30 degrees today! There were enough minutes of sunlight that I may have made a small dent in my massive vitamin D deficit.
(Someone should figure out a way for hospital lighting to give you vitamin D. Help the staff! Help the patients! Vitamin D for everybody!) (more…)
Is that a long enough name for a cookie?
Has it been a long enough time since I wrote a blog post? Or should I stay away for another, oh, I dunno FOUR MONTHS.
I would like to take this opportunity to make a post-dated announcement: Fleur-de-Licious went on a brief hiatus, due to…intern year. It’s the real deal. These 80+ hour work weeks are no joke. But if my New Years Resolution is going to involve cookies and stuff (like, making and eating more obvi), then I see this as a perfect time to make another announcement: FLEUR-DE-LICIOUS IS BACK Y’ALL.
Oof. We are nearly 2 months into intern year, and I can’t believe it.
Passage of time, y’all. It’s a real thing. Most days of this job are pretty fantastic. I’m surrounded by incredibly intelligent people who all know more than me about medicine. I’ve met some amazing patients who I want to keep visiting every day even when I’m not on their service anymore. Half of my patients so far have been babies who don’t know who I am and don’t care because I’m not the person who feeds them, but that’s fine. (more…)
So I’m kind of in berry overload mode.
Almost every summer, I would try to find a U-pick blackberry/some-berry farm nearby. In Texas. I had these wonderful memories of doing this as a kid, I think somewhere outside of Brenham (sidenote: someone send me Blue Bell). One year of my semi-adult life I was able to find a place to pick blackberries. I picked a bunch and it was awesome. But every other year, my search was futile. (more…)