One year ago today I became a real life lawyer.
Yup. I found out I passed the Texas Bar Exam on Halloween 2013. Nice of them to make the anniversary so easy to remember, right?
So, in the spirit of my Lawyerversary (see what I did there?!?), I’m gonna tell you some of the things I’ve learned my year of Lawyerdom (I can do this all day, y’all).
1. There are both SO MANY laws and yet never the law you need. Seriously I cannot believe the number of times I’ve been sent on a research hunt and simply found no laws. Not a single one. Apparently, this is why being a lawyer is hard.
2. It never actually gets easier to get out of bed in the morning. This feels like the biggest betrayal. Like, I actually think it’s gotten harder. I barely make it to the office before 9am anymore.
3. Lawyers work a lot. I know. This is quite shocking.
4. Being treated like I know things by other lawyers is mind-blowing and so confusing and scary. Will the novelty ever wear off? (At the rate I’m going right now, I actually do not think so.)
5. Ditto to saying my name on the record. It is THRILLING to say “Kate Rawlings, for Client X.” It’s pretty much the only thing I have gotten to say on the record thus far, and it is not at all complex. Yet I cannot not feel exhilarated EVERY. TIME.
6. Lawyers drink a lot of coffee. This is an aggressively true stereotype.
7. I have learned the most things in one year and still don’t know anything about being a lawyer. But here’s a thing I’ve learned in the past year: how to make a single-serving cookie. In a mug! In the microwave! This is invaluable and slightly dangerous knowledge.
Let’s live on the edge together!
Cookie in a Cup!
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp brown sugar
pinch of salt
3 drops of vanilla
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup flour, very scant
2 tbsp chocolate chips
- Melt the butter in a mug. Add sugars, salt, and vanilla. Stir in egg yolk. Then the flour. And lastly, the chocolate chips! SO EASY, Y’ALL.
- Microwave 45 seconds. You really don’t want to cook it longer than that. It will continue cooking in the mug even after you take it out.
- Get a fork. DIG IN.
- SO EASY, Y’ALL.
Recipe from Number 2 Pencil.
Happy Lawyerversary to me. Tomorrow is CAKE DAY. It’s regularly scheduled, but I’m going to pretend they ordered the ten different cakes just for me. I’ve heard delusions are the lifeblood of adulthood.
Bake with love!!