Sometimes you wake up and heat up day old pizza in your cast iron skillet and eat it for breakfast.
Sometimes you just go to Whole Foods and buy apple cider vinegar and a single coco La Croix and a pint of Jeni’s ice cream. And that’s it.
Sometimes you go to Trader Joe’s before work on a Wednesday and buy a single greek yogurt, an apple, chocolate & sea salt almonds, and peonies. Because how do you show up at the office without those things?
Sometimes, you just do the things that you want to do. Because you’re an adult and you can.
Like, sometimes you throw around the idea of running another half-marathon in your head so you look at running shoes online and maybe let yourself buy a personalized pair of Nikes even though you haven’t run since last Fourth of July. But, you know, at least you have a bright pair of shoes that legitimately say your name on the tongues.
Or sometimes you open a Diet Coke at 4:00pm on a Saturday and promptly spike it with Jack Daniel’s. It’s a thing.
Sometimes you only listen to Ariana Grande for like four days straight, only taking breaks to cut in some Iggy Azalea or maybe some 5 Seconds of Summer. Because your musical taste is very good and not at all like a 14-year-old’s.
Sometimes you only bake half of the cookie dough into actual cookies.
(Just kidding. All the times you only bake half of the cookie dough into actual cookies. Duh.)
Sometimes you decide to break out that expensive sea salt you got for Christmas and put it on top of chocolate cookies. Then sometimes you decide to take that pint of Jeni’s you bought at Whole Foods and smash it between those cookies.
Double Chocolate Ice Cream Sammies
Makes about 12 sandwiches
1 stick butter, unsalted and room temp
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4-6 oz chocolate chunks
sea salt for sprinkling
1 pint of your favorite ice cream. I used Jeni’s Whiskey and Pecan… for obvious reasons.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Cream together butter and sugar for about 3-5 minutes on medium speed. Add egg and vanilla and beat again for about a minute.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and powder, and salt in a bowl. Add all at once to the dough. Mix on low speed until just combined.
- Then, mix in the chocolate chunks. Scoop about 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough at a time, placing them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 11 to 12 minutes. Be careful not to overbake these. They’ll still look a little doughy when you open the oven after 11 minutes, but that’s okay. They’ll firm up a bit on the baking sheet after they’re out of the oven. Speaking of, once you pull these from the oven, let them cool on the baking sheets for about five minutes. Then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place a small scoop of ice cream between two cookies and smash into yo face.
Recipe adapted from Joy the Baker.
Sometimes it’s Memorial Day weekend and you just want to watch The Americans all day.
Sometimes you make yourself another cookie ice cream sammie and do just that.
Bake with love!!