Well, y’all. I did it.
I survived the Texas bar exam.
After 10+ weeks of studying 18 separate subjects.
Approximately 1409 practice multiple choice, short answer, and essay questions later.
Oh, and 15 hours of actual testing that took place over 2.5 days. Plus only 1 minor freak out mid-test.
I’m done. Like (hopefully) forever.
Last. Test. Ever. (Weird!!!)
Now I get to wait 3 months to know if I passed. Yippee!
Salted Chocolate Caramel Cookies
Makes about 2 dozen cookies
1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
5 tbsp butter, unsalted
7 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
about 24 soft caramels, rolled into balls (I used Werther’s chewy caramels)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. You’re going to want to line your baking sheets. Getting these up might be a challenge otherwise. Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt your butter. Once melted, add cocoa powder and sugars and remove from heat. Next is yogurt and vanilla, stirring til combined.
- Now add your flour. Don’t overmix. You just want to make sure all your flour gets wet, but it’s okay if it’s a little bit lumpy.
- Here’s the fun part! Wrap the chocolate dough around the caramel balls and place on your cookie sheets about 1.5 inches apart. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. The cookies will look a little bit gooey still. That’s good; it’s what you want. Let the cookies cool on the pans for 2-3 minutes. Then remove to a wire rack to cool completely (or to eat because these are amazing while still warm).
Recipe from Two Peas and their Pod
What’s really exciting about this whole thing is that I get to experience the bar-taker right of passage: The Bar Trip.
It’s basically an epic vacation to celebrate the fact that you just took the hardest test of your life and lost 10+ weeks to that task. And also a last hurrah before you start working too much to be able to take real vacations for a while.
So: The Accountant and I are going to ASIA!!! We’ll be hopping around the continent for the next 3.5 weeks. Therefore, it’ll be mostly radio silence from me for the next month-ish. I’ll try to post a mid-trip round-up, but can’t promise that the wifi connections where we are will be reliable enough to make that happen. Either way, looking forward to giving y’all the FULL run-down at some point.
See y’all in a few weeks! Bake with love!!