A few days ago we had the first Perfect Spring Day of the year in Austin.
The sun was out, but it wasn’t too hot. The wind was blowing, but not too hard. Just the Perfect Spring Day.
Perfect Springs Days fill me with a rush of gratitude. So here are some things I am just super thankful for lately:
1. Baseball. Nothing goes better with a Perfect Spring Day than a baseball game. That’s just science. And no sport is more beautiful than baseball. That’s just facts.
2. That there are people in the world who understand words and sounds well enough to make songs as beautiful as this. And this. Songwriting is something I am truly in awe of. And I’m so glad that other people can do it so well and that I get to reap the benefits of their hard work.
3. Now going in a related, but also completely opposite direction: One Direction. Yep. I said it. More specifically, this. Sorry but if you don’t watch/listen to that and become immediately happier, then you maybe don’t have a soul. …just sayin’. (Also, MARRY ME, HARRY STYLES.)
4. That I chose my law school and gave myself the chance to spend three years with the most amazing people in one of the best cities in the world. Seriously, y’all. Not to toot my own horn, but I made pretty much the best choice possible. My law school experience has been nothing short of incredible. And I’m going to miss Austin so, so much.
5. The ridiculous array of bright nail polish I own. My giraffe print loafers. My pomegranate Burt’s Bees. The throw pillows I’m about to buy for my new apartment. My stegosaurus tattoo. The amazing cat sweatshirt I just bought.
6. Yoga. Just everything about it. That I found it. That my body completely understands it. That it functions as a stress-manager. Plus, it’s just really fun to see the crazy shapes I can make with my body.
7. Texas storms. Nothing will remind you of the raw power and beauty of the world like a proper Texas thunderstorm.
8. Coffee. In any form. Period.
9. That I’m going to live within 1 mile of the Dallas Farmer’s Market. And perhaps more importantly, that Joy the Baker helped make that fact into a procrastination technique for Bar exam studying.
10. While I’m on the topic, Joy the Baker. This cake. The fact that I get to share this cake with you, on a blog I write with my best friend.
Grapefruit Yogurt Cake
Makes one 10 cup bundt cake
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/3 cup veggie oil
Juice and zest of one medium grapefruit
1 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour bundt pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Now, things are gonna get real luxurious. You’re gonna make citrus sugar! Rub the grapefruit zest into the sugar. You can use a spoon if you want, but I think it’s more fun to do it with your fingers. Plus then your hands smell like grapefruit for days.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs and grapefruit sugar until the mixture becomes pale yellow. Combine with yogurt, oil, 2 tbsp grapefruit juice, and vanilla. Add in flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Pour into pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes. The top will be golden brown and a tester will come out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert and remove to cool completely.
- While it’s cooling, combine the remaining grapefruit juice and the powdered sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer until glaze slightly thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Poke the top of the cooled cake with a toothpick all over. Pour warm glaze over the top slowly. You could brush it instead if you want to be more controlled about coverage, etc. You’ll want to eat this cake kinda quickly (the glaze is going to make it spoil faster). Speaking from personal experience, that shouldn’t be a serious problem.
Recipe adapted from Joy the Baker
While I know that Insufferably Hot Summer Days follow too soon after Perfect Spring Days in Texas, I’m gonna choose to forget that fact. Instead I’m going to think about wonderful things like citrus sugar and arranging fresh cut flowers and Harry Styles’s hair.
Find something awesome to revel in. Bake with love!!