As every single ad in the world will tell you, it’s Back-to-School Time!
Also, as every single ad in the world will tell you, the cool kids HATE to go back to school.
As this blog will tell you, I am not a cool kid. (This is Kate, btw. I think that Hannah is probably a cool kid. I’m lucky she finds my serious uncoolness amusing).
Logic then dictates that: I LOVE to go back to school.
Seriously, though. Tomorrow is my last First Day of School. Ever.
And I’m a little depressed about it.
Don’t get me wrong. I love summer. But I also love learning. Like a lot.
I also adore school supply shopping. Buying a new pack of fancy pens and brand new legal pads and binders and, yes okay, sometimes a Justin Bieber notebook slips in there. (I bought Sharpie pens today for the first time and oh. my. gosh. I’m in heaven).
Maybe I also need the routine of school to be a worthwhile human. It’s possible that I don’t know how to handle the freedom of summer. Which is weird… because I don’t really have a Routine with a capital R the way that a lot of people do. Sometimes I eat breakfast at home. Sometimes I don’t. Sometimes I make my own coffee. Most of the time I get it from my journal office. Sometimes I stay after school to study. Most of the time, I don’t. (Kidding, Dad!). But I really need the pressure of a class schedule and deadlines and expectations to push me to make things happen. Otherwise I have weeks like I just had where I don’t get out of bed before noon, I nap around 4, and I stare at my laptop screen all the times in-between.
(I mean, it was awesome. But also probably objectively pathetic).
But, if I’m being honest, I’m most excited to go back to school because I’m excited about going to class.
NERD. I KNOW.
But, you guys, I’m taking Employment Law and Mass Tort Litigation and National Security this semester!! It’s gonna be so awesome! I can’t wait to learn all of the laws!
I’m going to be the worst 3L in the history of 3Ls. I’m actually going to go to class… and like it. And I’m going to study. And do my reading for class. And I’m gonna like ALL of it.
I’m really lucky I picked a profession where a lot of people are nerdy…
These cookies don’t really have much to do with school. Though, I DID send them to a friend who was starting her first year of law school this month. So there you go. Back-to-School Cookies!
Brown Butter Sugar Cookies
Makes about 2 dozen
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup unsalted butter
2 large eggs
- First, you’re gonna brown your butter. Place it in a saucepan over medium heat. It’ll melt, then bubble and foam, and then start to brown. This much butter can take a bit of time, so be patient. Your butter will start to smell nutty and brown flecks will start appearing on the bottom of the pan. When this happens, you’re golden. Remove from heat and place in the refrigerator until it is a consistency like softened butter. This took about an hour for me.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Try not to eat all of it.
- Mix in eggs one at a time. Gradually add flour mixture and mix until just combined
- Scoop into about 2 tbsp balls. Slightly flatten them (I pressed lightly with a tablespoon) and sprinkle with sugar. These will spread a bit, so give them space.
- Bake until golden, 13-15 minutes. Let cool on the pans for about 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe adapted from Martha.
Okay, back to planning my First Day of School Outfit. And packing my backpack!
Bake with love!