Today is a very special day!
Not only is it St. Patrick’s Day, but also (and more importantly) it is my nephew Casper’s birthday! He is three!
So cupcakes are for birthdays. But these cupcakes are not for three-year-old birthdays. They are more for St. Patrick’s Day.
Whiskey. It’s a beautiful thing.
I just realized this recently, though. I used to never understand how people could enjoy drinking it. Try as I might, I couldn’t convert myself.
Then this year I started craving it. And drinking it. And now I’m adding it into my caramel and buttercream frosting.
This is surely a sign of adulthood.
I’m going to keep this post short and to the point because today is a day to be celebrating, not necessarily reading. It is also the first day of my Spring Break that I get to enjoy.
I’m going to a SXSW party this evening that is going to be epic. There is some talk that Justin Timberlake(!!!!!) could stop by for an impromptu performance. (!!!!!!)
So here are some beer and whiskey cupcakes. Yumztown.
Guinness Cupcakes with Whiskey Buttercream and Whiskey Caramel Sauce
Makes about 2 dozen cupcakes
1 cup Guinness
1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup sour cream
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp light corn syrup
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tbsp whiskey
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp whiskey
- For the cakes- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pans.
- Combine Guinness and butter in a saucepan over medium heat until simmering. Then whisk in the cocoa powder until the mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool a bit.
- Mix together remaining dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat together eggs and sour cream. Mix in cocoa mixture until just combined. Then add in the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold the mixture until fully combined.
- Divide the batter among the cupcake liners. Bake for about 17 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool on a rack.
- For the caramel– Mix sugar, water, and corn syrup in a pan over high heat. Let boil without stirring until it comes to 350° or turns a deep amber color. This took about 9 minutes for me. Whisk in the cream slowly. The mixture will bubble and fizzle quite a bit. Add in the whiskey. Set aside to let cool.
- For the buttercream- Put 3/4 cup whiskey in small saucepan over low heat. Let simmer until it reduces and becomes syrupy, about 10 minutes.
- Cream together butter, shortening, and powdered sugar. Add in vanilla, whiskey syrup, and remaining whiskey. Add more whiskey to your liking. You might want to chill this frosting a bit in order to pipe it.
- To assemble– Cut a hole in the top of each cupcake. Fill with caramel. Replace top of cupcake. Pipe buttercream onto cupcake. Drizzle with more caramel.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day aka Casper’s birthday!! Bake with love!