Where in the world does the time go? I’ve been planning this blog post since the end of December and now… it’s the end of January?
Anyway, HAPPY 2014!!! In honor of the new(ish) year, here are Kate’s 14 Things for 2014.
1. Stop complaining about being an adult, and focus on the really cool things that come with it. Like: paychecks. Also like: being able to eat frosting for dinner if I want to because I’m an adult and I get to make choices for myself. Also also like: Going to Paris with the Accountant for the weekend. Just because we wanted to and the flights were cheap. (We just got back from doing this and it was THE BEST.) My life is cool and I need to stop being so whiny about it. Basically.
2. Eat more fruits and veggies. Because for real, that three-week phase toward the end of 2013 of only eating things involving cheese was NOT CUTE.
3. Along the same lines: Don’t go more than three days in a row without working out. Like… come on. Not even that hard to make this one happen. (Except for apparently it is. See: those two months I neglected to go to the gym/yoga.)
4. But on the other side of that: Stop hating yourself for eating bread and cookies. And cheese. They are delicious. And as long as you’re keeping up with 2 and 3, a little cheesy bread not a huge deal.
5. Do your effing laundry.
6. Get a handle on your online shopping habit. Because WOAH. How many pairs of “work heels” do you need to buy online and then realize they a) don’t fit, b) are actually for a different kind of working woman, or c) all of the above before you STOP BUYING “WORK HEELS” ONLINE?!
7. Get a grown-up credit card. Pay your bill in its entirety every month.
8. Stop forgetting to have lemons and oranges in your house at all times. How many frustrated plans for Old Fashioneds do you have to endure before you learn?!?!
9. Remember to delete things off your DVR when you’ve watched them. Related: remember to set up things to record so that you stop crushing I’ll-Watch-It-Later Dreams (both yours and everyone else’s you invited over to watch that show).
10. Go to the doctor/dentist/eye doctor. Use the really good insurance that you’re lucky to have (and also that part of your paycheck pays for every month). Like, for real, won’t you feel like an idiot if your teeth rot out of your face when you’re older because you just kept forgetting to make a dentist appointment?
11. Finish decorating your apartment. You’ve lived there for almost a year. A pile of things by your bed does not equal a nightstand. And the bare walls in your bedroom are just depressing.
12. Put your cellphone away when you’re spending time with people you love. They are important to you, and they should feel that way. Looking at the same three pictures on instagram three hundred times during your lunch should not be prioritized over actually having lunch with that person.
13. Related: be better about calling people to check in. Text them when you miss them. Remember to just say hi and that you were thinking of them. People are important to you, and they should feel that way.
14. Make time to bake because it makes you happy. Make time to share the things you bake because that also makes you happy.
This cake combines quite a few things on my list. Look at me: so dedicated.
Zucchini Cream Cheese Pound Cake with Brown Butter Frosting
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup butter, melted and cooled
2 cups zucchini, shredded
4 tbsp butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1-2 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour your bundt pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Cream together cream cheese and sugar, until well combined. I’d say give it a good minute or two. Add in your eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl as well.
- Add vanilla. Then, while mixer is on low, add in your butter. Mix til combined.
- Now, add your flour mixture all in one go. Mix until just combined. Fold in shredded zucchini with a rubber spatula.
- Transfer batter to bundt pan. Your batter will be quite thick, so spooning it in will probably be faster/less annoying than trying to pour it.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Then flip out of the pan and let cool completely.
- While your cake is baking/cooling, make your frosting. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Let cook until it browns, about 10 minutes. Pour butter into a bowl. Add sugar, vanilla, and milk. Stir until consistency is to your liking.
- Once completely cool, frost with your Brown Butter Frosting.
- Stuff into face.
Whew. 14 Things is a lot of Things.
Welcome back to Fleur-De-Licious y’all! We’re glad you stuck around.
Bake with love!!